Sunday, June 27, 2010

Friday, June 25th I went to the Walk of Fame by the famous Chinese Theater in Hollywood. It just so happened to be the one year anniversary of Michael Jackson's death. In front of the Chinese Theater were a group of dancers doing a tribute. His star on the walk of fame is right out in front of the Chinese Theater. It was covered in all kinds of flowers, candles and notes. There were people everywhere taking pictures, including me. But I was sitting. While we were there a camera crew approached me and asked if they could interview me for a documentary they were making about the fans of Michael. Of course I said yes. They told me that they will email me with the details of how I can find it. Everyone was hungry so we went and had sushi. Afterwards we headed back to the hotel to get ready to go to dinner. The manager of the hotel made us reservations at a famous restaurant called Mr. Chow's in Beverly Hills. On our way to the restaurant we drove down Rodeo Drive. When we arrived at Mr. Chow's we were impressed with the ambiance. There must have been a thousand lilies. The whole place smelled like fresh cut flowers. The service was amazing. Each table had a head waiter, a maitre d' and a water boy. We all decided to get the "Mr. Chow" which is a two-course meal which actually seemed like a four-course meal. The maitre d' asked us to allow him to pick what we would eat based on what we told him we liked. I figured he would know best. He brought a variety of first course from lettuce wraps, steamed vegetable dumplings, shrimp rolls and mysterious spaghetti. Everything was delicious! In between that course and the next, they brought out water bowls to wash your fingers in. I even got one! The main course was steak tenderloin, blackened cod, barbecue chicken with walnuts and prawns. Afterwards they brought by a desert tray with four to choose from. I told the waiter that we would have one of each, please. There was a lemon tart, a creamy chocolate cake, a berry something and a custard. I liked the lemon and chocolate ones the best. Of course, everyone at the table finished them all. Everything was so good! Afterwards we drove back down Rodeo Drive again and around Beverly Hills a little. We stopped to get gas and I took a picture to prove that I paid $3.53 a gallon for gas. They also have different pricing depending on if you use cash or credit. It was 6 cents more per gallon to use your credit card. We went back to the hotel for the night.
The next day, Saturday June 26th I found a salon in Macy's near the hotel where I could have my hair washed. The lady washing my hair, her name was Joy, was very nice. She wanted to know all about me. Come to find out she loves to watch poker on TV so I was telling her about me playing in the WSOP and she wanted to know everything about it. The one thing that stood out most about her was her long hair that tickled my nose and mouth the whole time she was washing my hair. I held my breath most of the hair wash. She did do a decent job though. But she is no May. Afterwards we started heading to Dodgers Stadium. What a beautiful sight as we pulled into the Stadium. It is really something that I never thought I would be able to do. We were able to park close to the entrance. Our seats were in between first base and right field. I didn't wait long and got a Dodger Dog that I've always wanted to try. Delicious!!! It was unbelievable to watch the Dodgers play the Yankees. It was definitely worth having to buy 35 tickets just to go to one game. It was a great high scoring game which ended with a Dodger win. After the game we decided to try to find the Hollywood sign. What an adventure that became! I now have come to realize the GPS in the van sucks. Soon as I get back to Jax I will be trying to find out why the lady on the GPS has no idea what she's talking about. Ever. After two hours and a half a tank of gas, we decided to give up. Once back at the hotel I ordered room service, ate dinner and went to bed.
Today we tried to leave the hotel only to find out the valet had once again lost my keys. No one knew where they were. I fortunately have a spare set so I could load the trailer and van. I wasn't leaving without my original set. While they were farting around trying to find my keys, they ask me, "Who parked it last night? What was his name?" Apparently they don't understand the valet system of giving your keys, receiving a ticket, giving the ticket back and getting your keys back. My wonderful best friend, Marie, finally got tired of the finger pointing and asked if she could look in the valet room herself to see if she could find the keys. In a room full of keys on hooks, mine were the first pair at the bottom. Exactly where you would start to look if you were looking for keys. They still had the valet tag on them and everything. She told the valet guy she found them and he said, "Oh, I thought there were two pairs." Whatever that means. After the key incident I should have known that was a bad sign of what was to come. I wanted to make one more attempt to see the Hollywood sign. I've come this fair, I felt I should try one more time in the daylight. We got directions to go to an observatory on top of a hill that is supposed to have the best views of the city and the sign. Finally I got to set my eyes on the sign. It was a little smoggy but you could still see it. While taking pictures in front of the sign, I moved my snout, the tube I use to move my chair, and it broke. Not completely, it still is hooked up to the computer but it was broken enough where I couldn't keep it where I need it. I decided to go to Home Depot to see it they could rig it up to last me until I get to San Francisco and can find a wheelchair store. With a 6 inch PVC pipe, two six inch screws and five hose clamps they were able to Macgyver it. Now we are on our way out of LA to find the Pacific Coast Highway. We have a long drive ahead of us. I will be sending a letter to the Mayor of LA, perhaps Schwarzenegger too, about the conditions of the roads. They have enough money to stop every car on its way in to check for bugs in the fruit but they haven't replaced the asphalt since they originally laid it. Roughest roads I've ever been on. Since I've left Vegas I haven't seen a Wal-Mart, or a celebrity for that matter.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, Where do I start. I can't believe you were in Beverly Hills on MJ'S anniversary. I have been to Beverly Hills several times and always forget to go to the Stars Walk. One of these days I have to do that. Your restaurant sounded unbelievable. I'm glad you were laying down when you got the bill. :-) I bet it was shocking. Sounds like a great evening though. Sorry you had such a hard time finding the Hollywood sign. I think you can see it from I5. I think you are going to enjoy Northern Calif better. Have a great time and enjoy all the beautiful sights on the Pacific Coast Highway. Everything is fine here in Jax. I talk to your dad everyday and we are getting together for dinner tomorrow night. Love you.

    ReplyDelete